I love baking bread, especially banana bread. This Jamaican banana bread is a bit of the tropics splashed in thanks to the addition of dark rum, coconut and lime.
Jamaican Banana Bread
Prep Time:10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
Makes: 8 servings
2 C flour
3⁄4 tsp baking soda
1⁄2 tsp kosher salt
1 C sugar
1⁄4 C unsalted butter, melted
2 large eggs, room temp
1 1⁄2 C mashed ripe bananas
1⁄4 C plain yogurt
3 Tbsp Bacardi Black Rum
1⁄2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 C toasted coconut
3⁄4 C powdered sugar
4 tbsp lime zest, divided
1 1⁄2 tbsp Bacardi Black
1⁄2 C toasted coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare a loaf pan with nonstick baking spray.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Add sugar and melted butter together in a mixing bowl. Mix together with an electric mixer.
- Add 1 egg at a time, mixing after each addition.
- Mix in bananas, yogurt, rum, and vanilla. Continue mixing until combined.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients.
- With an electric mixer, beat after each addition until combined.
- Fold in 1⁄2 cup of coconut without over mixing.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared baking pan.
- Fold in 1⁄2 C coconut into the batter
- Bake at 350 degrees for 60 minutes. Insert a toothpick in the center of the loaf if it comes out clean the bread is done.
- Take the bread out of the oven and place on a cooling rack for several minutes.
- Flip the loaf pan over and place it on a cooling rack.
- Whisk together the powdered sugar, lime zest and rum
- Drizzle it over the warm bread
- Sprinkle lime zest and toasted coconut on top
- Set aside to cool before slicing and serving.