A tried and true copy cat recipe for Trisha Yearwood’s Tortilla Soup you will love. It’s simple to make and unbelievably delicious.
So, in the last couple of weeks, I keep seeing a recipe for Trisha Yearwood’s Tortilla Soup all over Pinterest. So, after looking through a bunch of them, I tried to make it.
I’ve basically pieced together what I think this recipe should be because none of the ones I could find seemed complete. None mentioned all the same ingredients. Go figure. I think I got it right because this soup rocked. It’s just as good as my taco soup! In fact, my kids did not even complain about eating it and they are quite vocal if they do not like the food.
Trisha Yearwood’s Tortilla Soup
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 or 3 cloves of garlic, pressed
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 14 oz chicken broth
- 4 cups of half and half or low-fat milk
- 1 cup prepared salsa
- 3 large chicken breasts (boneless, skinless (boiled and shredded)
- 1 15 oz can kidney beans (drained, not rinsed)
- 1 15 oz can black beans (drained, not rinsed)
- 1 15 oz can corn or fill up a 15 oz can with frozen corn and add
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 package fajita seasoning
- 1 15 oz can cream of chicken soup
Melt the butter in a large soup pot.
Add garlic and onion, and saute until soft.
Add flour and stir well. Saute for 1 minute.
Add the broth and the half-and-half. (I boiled the chicken beforehand in 6 comes of water to make the broth.)
Stir in cream of chicken soup, salsa, chicken, beans, corn, cumin, and fajita seasoning.
Continue to simmer over low heat for 15 minutes. Stir a lot to prevent anything from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
Optional: Top it with tomatoes, green onions, cilantro, shredded cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips, and black olives.
Apparently, Trisha Yearwood has her own cookbook. Who knew? Here it is on Amazon for those that might want to know more. I do not have this cookbook and do not know if it includes this recipe.
What is your favorite soup to make? I would love to check it out. Feel free to leave a link to it in the comments section.
More chicken recipes you might like:
- Fancy Pants Chicken Casserole
- Sheet Pan Spanish Chicken
- Chicken Enchiladas
- Easy Cranberry Chicken
- Chinese Chicken Salad like the Cheesecake Factory
- Mediterranean Chicken – Slow cooker recipe
- Easy BBQ Chicken
- Crockpot Chicken Parmesan
- Spicy Chicken Spaghetti
- White Chicken Chili
- Baked Wine Chicken Casserole
- Tex-Mex Chicken Curry
- Buffalo Chicken Casserole
- Chicken Posole Soup